Chatting paying it forward, Star Wars, and calculated risks with tech whisperer and Total Tools Ecommerce Manager, Brandon Soo.
1. What is your favourite part about your job?
Working with a tremendously talented team all focused on improving the business and servicing our customers.
2. Who was your childhood hero?
Growing up, my dad and I really bonded over sports. Primarily it was all about athletics, so at the time Carl Lewis was the man. In Little Athletics and school I participated in the same events he did.
3. What is one of your guilty pleasures?
I’m still a gamer and when I have a spare moment will jump on to play something. Keeps me young, but also an activity I can do with my kids.
4. What is one song that you would request a DJ to play at a party?
Wow…tough one! I’m always up for a dance and my formative years were in the 90s so maybe something funny like U Can’t Touch This, Baby Got Back or Ice Ice Baby.
5. How do you typically unwind after a long day?
Either some form of training or sports, kicking back to watch a movie or TV show or gaming.
6. What’s on the top of your bucket list?
To travel the world with my kids and show them the spectacular sights and amazing cultures out there.
7. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
France, went on a round the world trip with the family in my late teens and did an 18 day tour or Europe.
8. What is the most impressive thing you know how to do?
I’m a tech whisperer, things seem to miraculously work again when I am in range. I do have a technology background so I can build a PC and am pretty good at working out tech issues.
9. What risks are worth taking?
I’m perhaps on the more conservative side so I go with calculated risks where there is a higher percentage of success.
10. What do you enjoy about this industry?
How dynamic the industry is, it moves so quickly! The other area of the industry I enjoy are all the selfless people that share their knowledge and experience with others. There are so many that have helped me on my journey, and I try to do the same and pay it forward for anyone that approaches me for help.
11. What was the last thing you bought online?
After some furious purchasing through BFCM week, the very last online order was a charging dock and batteries for my GoPro.
12. What’s your most-used App on your phone?
Google Chrome, I am forever researching things and reading. I notoriously have too many tabs open on all my devices.
13. If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
George Lucas, as a big Star Wars and Indiana Jones fan what he managed to create not in just those universes but the industry of film making itself from film, audio and special effects production amazes me.
14. Say you’re stranded on a desert island (and all basics are met), what are three things
you would take with you?
Computer, sunglasses and speargun.
15. If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Chicken wings, my old flatmates nicknamed me the Chicken Man after living off rice and chicken wings most nights.
16. What’s something everyone should try at least once?
17. If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be?
To be able to give hope, joy and happiness to all, that way there would be less conflict in the world leading to a more harmonious planet.
18. If you had the opportunity to take an international gap year and do whatever you wanted, where would you move and what would you do?
Europe, so many countries to explore within close proximity and I’d become a travel writer or food critic.
19. What is one skill you would love to master?
For a long time I’ve had an interest in understanding the share market and investing, some day I will get around to delving further into it.
20. What did you want to be when you were five years old?
A pilot, most likely fostered by my love of Star Wars from a young age and wanting to fly an X-Wing or the Millennium Falcon. Then even more so when the original Top Gun came out.
You can find Brandon at Total Tools.
The e-commerce landscape is changing. With a Power Retail Switched On membership, you get access to current e-commerce revenue and forecasting, traffic levels, average conversion rate, payment preferences and more!