Cecilia Chiu co-founded New Aim in 2005 with Fung Lam. As the Chief Strategy Officer, she has more than 15 years of experience in the e-commerce industry. But what inspired her to get into e-commerce - was it always the goal? We asked her 20 questions to find out about her journey in retail, the proudest moment in her career, and her secret talents.
1. What do you enjoy about this industry?
E-commerce is dynamic and analytical. It delivers the maximum value of a product to the consumer by cutting down costs incurred by extra manpower and rent.
2. When was the first time you shopped online?
In 2006, from eBay, when I first arrived in Australia.
3. Who was your childhood hero?
4. Do you have any secret talents?
Piano and basketball. I used to be a basketball player.
5. If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
My Dad who passed away when I was 15.
6. If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
7. What did you want to be when you were five years old?
I always wanted to be a lawyer since I was young. And Law was my first preference major in Uni but I failed. So I moved to Singapore at around 19 years old and decided to major in Business. I’m a very logical person who likes to understand the motivating factors behind every decision.
8. Looking at where you are now, did you expect to be in this position when you were 25?
I met New Aim co-founder Fung Lam and went into e-commerce when I was 25. I’d recently moved to Sydney to study at Macquarie University. I was looking for part-time work to support my living because my Mum could only support my school fees. The part-time jobs going in Sydney were in hospitality, but I found one in Melbourne where I could work during the holidays in e-commerce. Never did I imagine that New Aim would grow so big one day.
9. What was the last book you read?
The Second Curve by Charles Handy.
10. What’s your most-used App on your phone?
Little Red Book, a social media and ecommerce platform.
11. What was your first job?
Fashion Buyer in Singapore.
12. How do you define success?
Dream big dreams and achieve it.
13. What is the best joke you’ve ever heard?
Online shopping is just a fad.
14. You’re at a cafe. What is your go-to beverage order?
Soy flat white.
15. What is one thing that can instantly make your day better?
Good restaurant with good food.
16. If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be?
17. Do you have any pets?
I have two dogs, a Maltese Poodle and a Toy Poodle, Muffin and Oreo. They are 13 and 10.
18. What is your favourite film?
X-Men series. The underlying meaning speaks to the complexity of humanity.
19. What has been the proudest moment in your career?
My proudest moment has not happened yet. Watch this space.
20. What was the last thing you bought online?
a) Did you add express shipping?
The e-commerce landscape is changing. With a Power Retail Switched On membership, you get access to current e-commerce revenue and forecasting, traffic levels, average conversion rate, payment preferences and more!