An icon in her own right, Julie Mathers has gone from strength to strength since launching Flora & Fauna in 2014. She has won several All Star Bash awards, including the Top Sustainable Retailer. Since leaving F&F in 2022, she has gone to acquire the kid's brand, Snuggly Hunny Kids. We wanted to know a bit more about the person behind the achievements, so we asked her 20 Questions - what's her go-to cafe order? Does she prefer savoury or sweet?
1. Who was your childhood hero?
It was probably Hulk Hogan. I loved WWE (or WWF as it was called then) growing up. I went to see it live; a massive fan!
2. You’re at a cafe. What is your go-to beverage order?
Peppermint Tea. I actually gave up coffee in 2005 and haven’t touched it since.
3. When was the first time you shopped online?
A very long time ago. I remember one of my first purchases was at asseenonscreen.co.uk (now known as asos.com). At the time you could buy clothes you saw on celebs, and I think I bought a T-Shirt that Rachel from S Club 7 had been seen wearing. It would have been around the year 2000.
4. What has been the proudest moment in your career?
Backing myself, leaving the corporate job and going alone to start Flora & Fauna. It was a life-changing moment for me and the best decision I ever made.
5. What did you want to be when you were five years old?
A vet. I love animals.
6. What is an assumption about you that is completely false?
I’m a woman with kids, so plenty of assumptions are made.
7. What is one skill you would love to master?
Become a Master of Wine.
8. If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be?
To fly. How freeing would that be!
9. Where is the most interesting place you’ve been?
India was really interesting. I took myself there when I was 22 for a few months and travelled to the place where my Grandma used to live (she grew up in India and was Indian/ Portuguese). It was great learning more about my family. India is a beautiful country rich in culture. I’ve been back a couple of times and keen to go again.
10. If you weren’t in e-commerce, what industry would you like to work in?
Wine. I am a big collector of wine and have studied it over the years.
11. What was your favourite subject in high school?
12. What was the last book you read?
Drive by Daniel Pink. Brilliant book.
13. What is your favourite film?
Predator or Jurassic Park or Jaws (there’s a theme)
14. What is the most impressive thing you know how to do?
Not sure it’s very impressive, but I can do maths pretty quick.
15. If you had a time machine, where would you time travel to, and why?
Travel forward 50 years and then maybe 100 and 1000. Really keen to see how our world unfolds and if we can correct some of the errors we humans have made.
16. Do you have any pets?
I sure do. Four cats and Rosie, our pet pig.
17. Do you prefer savoury or sweet?
I prefer savoury but do have a massive sweet tooth.
18. What was the first live concert you attended?
New Kids on the Block, 1990.
19. Do you have a favourite social media platform?
20. How do you define success?
Fulfilling your potential and doing it ethically and respectfully.
The e-commerce landscape is changing. With a Power Retail Switched On membership, you get access to current e-commerce revenue and forecasting, traffic levels, average conversion rate, payment preferences and more!