Bunnings was named the No.1 Online Retailer at the All Star Bash 2022. The retailer has gone from strength to strength, solidifying its spot as a leader in the industry. We asked Managing Director, Michael Schneider, 20 questions to find out more about his inspiration and the advice he'd give his younger self.
1. What was your first job?
My first roles were shop floor & back dock roles at Hobbyco and Target …
2. What is your favourite part about your job?
Working with an incredibly talented team in a dynamic and fast-paced environment and seeing people build fantastic careers.
3. You’re at a cafe. What is your go-to beverage order?
4. Do you support AFL?
I live in Melbourne. It isn’t an option!
a) If so, who is your team?
5. What is one skill you would love to master?
6. What has been the proudest moment in your career?
Being given the privilege to lead the team at Bunnings
7. If you weren’t in retail, what industry would you like to work in?
8. What do you enjoy about this industry?
People and Pace. Team, customers, suppliers and industry stakeholders and the way that the market shifts and evolves all the time.
9. How do you define success?
Delivering long term performance through the offer we provide to our customers, the roles we create and grow for our team & the relationships we develop with our suppliers and partners.
10. What’s your favourite ad on TV right now?
Corny, but I love our ads – seeing our team on TV is always a buzz.
11. Looking at where you are now, did you expect to be in this position when you were 25?
Not a chance!
12. As a Managing Director, what are the first three tasks you complete when you wake up?
I read as many papers and articles as I can, I review our daily sales performance and make sure I have a coffee in hand.
13. What’s something everyone should try at least once?
14. What is your favourite film?
15. What’s your most-used App on your phone?
16. Do you think you’ve changed as a person post lockdown?
Yes, I value connectedness more and realise just how important our freedoms are and that we should never take them for granted.
17. When was the first time you shopped online?
So long ago now I can’t remember!
18. What did you want to be when you were five years old?
An ambulance officer.
19. Is there any advice you’d give your 16-year-old self?
Take chances and make every day count.
20. Do you have any pets?
We have a dog, Henry. He is almost two and is a cross between a Blue Heeler and an Australian cattle dog.
The e-commerce landscape is changing. With a Power Retail Switched On membership, you get access to current e-commerce revenue and forecasting, traffic levels, average conversion rate, payment preferences and more!