It's been a big 12 months for the CEO of Global Marketplace, Nathan Brown. We asked him 20 questions to find out what kind of student he was in high school, the proudest moments in his career and his secret talents.
1. How do you define success?
Success to me is being clear on what makes you happy (it will be different for everyone) and then applying yourself 100 percent towards that.
2. When was the first time you shopped online?
Been so long ago – it was probably in the early 2000s buying business shirts from TM Lewin.
3. What is your favourite film?
Difficult to pick between Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber and Uncle Buck. During lockdown, I have loved revisiting these movies with my kids!
4. What are three words that would describe you?
Positive, grateful, calm.
5. You’re at a cafe. What is your go-to beverage order?
6. How do you typically unwind after a long day?
Spending time with wife and kids. Despite any worries at work, the kids don’t care and just want to hang out with Dad and my wife is very patient and is a great sounding board.
7. If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Roast Lamb and Veggies.
8. Do you have any secret talents?
An unbelievable ability to watch sports. I can watch sport on TV and watch sport live at events!
9. If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be?
Sleep Man – I have an uncanny ability to go to sleep quickly, which annoys my wife.
10. What is your go-to order on UberEats?
Anything from Sibling Spice – a great local Thai place.
11. What did you want to be when you were five years old?
Play cricket for Australia
12 What kind of student were you in high school?
A late bloomer. Every year after parent-teacher interviews my parents would come home and say “If you would just apply yourself”. But I got it together by the end (which I have to remind myself with my kids!)
13. What’s your most-used App on your phone?
Sadly, Gmail or AFR
14. What has been the proudest moment in your career?
Not one specifically, but super proud of former teammates who I gave an opportunity to, and to see where their careers have progressed to now!
15. What was the last book you read?
Sooley – John Grisham. Good story, not overly taxing bedtime reading.
16. What was the first live concert you attended?
Guns & Roses – Calder Park 1993
17. Who is your favourite artist?
Not massive into Arts, but would have to be photographer Ansell Adams – I was mesmerised by his photos growing up. I got to go to Yosemite National Park which he was famous for photographing and it was amazing
18. If you could turn yourself into any fictional character, who would it be and why?
Hairy McClary – dog from fictional books I used to read with my kids (I still have kept them despite my kids growing up). He hangs out with a big crew of dogs, seems to have fun, gets in and out of trouble, and everything seems to work out for him!
19. Do you have any phobias?
Not a massive fan of heights.
20. Is there any advice you’d give your 16-year-old self?
Don’t sweat the small stuff and tell those you love, that you love them regularly!
Just for fun – tell me two truths and one lie. We will guess which is the lie!
1. Growing up I was a builder’s labourer for my Dad in school holidays – and have builder’s labourer hands as a result to this day.
2. I have been to the US Masters golf tournament in Georgia.
3. Have played a round of golf at St Andrews in Scotland.
The e-commerce landscape is changing. With a Power Retail Switched On membership, you get access to current e-commerce revenue and forecasting, traffic levels, average conversion rate, payment preferences and more!