There are currently no items in your cart
20 Questions with Gabby Leibovich
Gabby Leibovich needs no introduction. The Catch, Scoopon, Eatnow/Menulog Co-Founder is a certified e-commerce legend, but what does he do in his spare time? We caught up with him to ask twenty questions, to find out a bit more about the serial entrepreneur and businessman.
1. What inspired you to enter the e-commerce industry?
Some call us ‘pioneers of e-commerce’ as we entered the space before it became an ‘Industry’. Prior to starting to selling on eBay in 2004, I was selling electronics at a retail store, when e-commerce launched in Australia, we were simply there at the right place at the right time.
2. What do you enjoy about the e-commerce industry?
I’ve got retailing and marketing running through my veins. Selling online allowed us to be able to reach out to every Australian out there and simply provide them with the best deal going around. It was also a lot of fun giving it to the big boys ( that never believed in online shopping) in the early days!
3. Are you a fan of online shopping?
Absolutely, isn’t everyone? The best part is receiving that mystery box and not remembering what you actually ordered.
4. When was the first time you shopped online?
2003, when we started selling on eBay.
5. What was the last thing you bought online?
A Sony original 1980s yellow Walkman. Found it on eBay from a Russian seller. Amazing!
a. Did you add express shipping?
The choice wasn’t available.
6. What was your first job?
My first job was selling ladies apparel at Wantirna Sunday markets. I have never applied for a job, nor ever written a resume.
7. Are there any lessons you learned in your first job that has stayed with you for your career?
Lots and lots. Work hard; be consistent; don’t take no for an answer; buy low- sell high; you make your money when you buy the goods; create attention and PR around your product; FOMO retailing.
8. What has been the proudest moment in your career thus far?
Receiving the All Star Legends award together with my brother Hezi at the 2021 ceremony in front of 800 industry peers.
9. Looking at where you are now, did you expect to be in this position when you were 25?
(Laughing 😆) We truly are the accidental entrepreneurs. Check our book to learn more Catch of the Decade (Always sell sell sell!)
10. What does ‘success’ look like to you?
Having the time and money to choose your next move (F#$% Covid)
11. Do you have a favourite social media platform?
LinkedIn, for sure!
12. Do you have any secret talents?
I used to be a great soccer player, but all that stopped in my early 40s.
13. What is an assumption that some people make about you that is completely false?
That I am busy and unavailable. It’s the opposite, I always have time for everyone.
14. How do you typically unwind after a long day?
I don’t have long days anymore 🙂
15. What’s your most-used App on your phone?
16. If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
17. What did you want to be when you grew up?
18. What is your favourite part about your job?
These days, I invest in digital startups, and it gives me lots of satisfaction to be able to share my experience with young entrepreneurs.
19. Do you have any heroes that you look up to?
20. What advice would you give your 16-year-old self?
Take a year off after school and Uni, and travel. You are only young once.
The e-commerce landscape is changing. With a Power Retail Switched On membership, you get access to current e-commerce revenue and forecasting, traffic levels, average conversion rate, payment preferences and more! Sign up today and receive an Apple Watch Series 6 – Find out more here.