There are currently no items in your cart
20 Questions with Jane Lu, Founder and CEO of Showpo
Jane Lu founded Showpo in 2010 and has become an icon in the e-commerce industry in her own right. We asked her 20 questions to find out about her secret talents and what she got up to while in lockdown.
1. Did you achieve any personal projects while you were in lockdown?
My husband and I had big plans to finally start our “family band” together (we both play the guitar and piano) but I just kept procrastinating… the band will have to wait, cos now it’s party season!
2. What’s your most-used App on your phone?
Hayu – I watch so much reality TV.
3. Do you enjoy online shopping?
I cannot stand shopping in person! Whenever I’m shopping with friends (which is very rare) I’m sitting with all the boyfriends and husbands at the front of the store playing on my phone (probably shopping online).
4. What did you want to be when you were five years old?
I don’t remember, but my first memory was wanting to be a film and TV director or producer (nothing too serious, just comedies and reality TV).
5. What is an assumption about you that is completely false?
That because I have a finance and accounting degree, and worked as an accountant at 2 of the Big 4 global accounting firms, that I am good at accounting or finance. I am so bad at it and at managing money. I didn’t even have a P&L for the first 18 months of the business.
6. Do you have a favourite social media platform?
7. What is one thing that can instantly make your day better?
Prosecco or Pinot.
8. What is your go-to order on UberEats?
Lasagna, spag bol.
9. Do you have any secret talents?
Driving through traffic (I’ll get you there so much quicker than your Uber driver!)
10. What’s your star sign?
11. If you could turn yourself into any fictional character, who would it be and why?
Waldo, cos he can travel through space and time. Anything to get me travelling again! Surely he can get across the QLD border.
12. What is your favourite part about your job?
I get excited by new exciting projects, whatever it is. And I love that that is what Showpo is all about. We’re in such a dynamic industry that if you stay still, you’ll go backwards, so we’re always working on new exciting things!
13. Have you ever overcome a fear? What was it, and how did you overcome it?
I grew up with a fear of failure. It wasn’t until my business failed, that I realised that it wasn’t the end of the world, but was the stepping stone to the next thing.
14. What are three words that would describe you?
Outgoing, lazy, always-hungry.
15. What is one song that you would request a DJ to play at a party?
Losing It – Fisher – (yeah I’m that person, sorry can’t help myself).
16. What has been the proudest moment in your career?
There are so many major milestones, but I think the proudest I feel has been recently when I look at both my babies flourishing together – Lachie and Showpo. I’m so proud of the business kicking goals, all the while that I’ve been able to spend so much time and have so much flexibility to spend with my beautiful baby boy.
17. What do you enjoy about this industry?
I love everything about working in online retail. It’s like a real-life Lemonade Tycoon. The business is like a game where you can see the direct impact of the levers you pull. It’s a lot of fun!
18. What’s your favourite ad on TV right now?
The Showpo ads during Love Island, of course!
19. If you were handed $5 million with no questions asked, what would you do with the money?
Is it boring to say that I would just put it back into the business?
20. If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Big Macs or instant noodles.
The e-commerce landscape is changing. With a Power Retail Switched On membership, you get access to current e-commerce revenue and forecasting, traffic levels, average conversion rate, payment preferences and more!