There are currently no items in your cart
20 Questions with Mark Coulter, CEO of Temple & Webster
Mark Coulter, CEO of Temple & Webster, has helped make the online retailer one of the leaders in its category. We asked him 20 questions to find out a bit more about his life outside of work, what inspires him and his honest opinion on e-commerce.
1. What inspired you to enter the e-commerce industry?
I had been working in digital media for a while and really loved the interior space and saw an opportunity to change how Australian’s shop for their homes.
2. What do you enjoy most about this industry?
It is both creative and analytical, big picture and small detail; I get to look at beautiful things all day long.
3. What did you want to be when you grew up?
4. How do you define success?
It makes me proud to meet people who have bought something from Temple & Webster and made them happy.
5. Do you enjoy online shopping? And why?
I love online shopping; it is so easy, and you can do it whenever and wherever you want.
6. What was the last thing you bought online? Did you add express shipping?
I recently furnished my entire house with Temple & Webster from top to bottom. All furniture, sheets, towels, plates, glasses, and a pizza oven.
7. What are the three words that best describe you?
Get shit done.
8. Did you have a childhood hero?
The entire crew of Star Trek: Next Generation were my extended family, especially Jean-Luc Picard who was my TV dad.
9. What is the best joke you’ve heard?
What’s brown and sticky?
10. What was your first job?
Working in a scuba diving shop.
11. What has been the proudest moment in your career?
Realising Temple & Webster is going to be around for a lot longer than me.
12. Do you have a favourite item from Temple & Webster?
I have more than 200,000 of them!
13. What is your favourite film?
I am a Sci-Fi geek, so probably The Matrix.
14. Have you picked up any new hobbies in lockdown?
Not a new hobby, but went back to playing piano.
15. Do you have any secret talents?
It used to be I play the piano – see above!
16. What is the most used App on your phone?
The Temple & Webster one, of course!
17. What is your favourite part about your job?
I have an amazing job; I get to work with a great bunch of people on interesting problems that change every day.
18. What’s your favourite ad on TV right now?
I don’t really watch free to air TV, but if I did it would be Temple & Webster’s.
19. How do you unwind after a long day?
Like everyone else, a glass of wine and binging Netflix.
20. Is there any advice you’d give your 16-year-old self?
Don’t worry about the future, it’s impossible to predict where life takes you.
The e-commerce landscape is changing. With a Power Retail Switched On membership, you get access to current e-commerce revenue and forecasting, traffic levels, average conversion rate, payment preferences and more! Sign up today and receive an Apple Watch Series 6 – Find out more here.