Advertisement
Klaviyo Billboard Ad

MetCash Names New Total Tools CEO

Reading Time: 2 mins
By Published On: January 9, 20240 Comments

With experience as former CEO of both Premier Investments and JB Hi-Fi, Richard Murray joins Total Tools as CEO.

Australian tools and hardware retailer Total Tools has experienced a series of changes in the past few months. Back in November, Metcash took full ownership of Total Tools. The wholesale distribution and marketing company acquired 85 percent of Total Tools in 2020 for $57m, and took on the remaining 15 percent of shares late last year. 

Also announced back in November, departing CEO Paul Dumbrell declared his intention to step down as CEO of Total Tools in April after five years with the business. He was appointed CEO in 2018 and agreed to stay on in the role after Metcash’s 2020 majority stake acquisition. 

Richard Murray will replace Paul Dumbrell in the CEO role. Murray joins the business following a two year stint as CEO of Premier Investments. Prior to that, he worked nearly two decades at JB Hi-Fi and held the position of CEO for seven years. 

Murrays departure from Premier Investments late last year was subject to speculation that he was unhappy at being excluded from talks about majority stakeholder Solomon Lew and fellow executives plans for a demerger.

Murray will be commencing his role at Total Tools at the end of January 2024, and will work with Paul Dumbrell on his transition into the role. 

“We are delighted to announce the appointment of Richard and warmly welcome him to Metcash. He has a huge passion for the sector and Total Tools, both as a retailer and a serious tools and DIY enthusiast,” said Metcash CEO Doug Jones.

“Importantly, Richard’s deep retail experience and proven track record ideally position him to play an integral role in the continued success of Total Tools as the number one player in the Australian professional tools market.”

“Richard will join the Metcash Group Leadership Team and will no doubt be an asset to Metcash more broadly”, Mr Jones said.

About the Author: Rosalea Catterson

Rosalea is the Editor of Power Retail. With a keen interest in consumer behaviour and tech, she covers everything ecommerce and hosts the Power Retail Power Talks Podcast.

Share this story!

Leave A Comment

Advertisement
Klaviyo Half Page Ad
Advertisement
Klaviyo Medium Rectangle Ad
Advertisement
Klaviyo Billboard Ad